Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Maternity leave project guest post: Jessi from Sweet Pie Bakery

Hello! I'm Jessi from Sweetie Pie Bakery! I'm so excited to be guest-posting over here for Andreann while she spends time with her new little one.

I've been meaning to get to this project for months but finally had the perfect excuse. I love how crib and toddler bedding is interchangeable, making the lifetime of things much longer. My daughter recently transferred from a crib to a toddler bed and I was so excited to be able to transfer the bedding along with her.



Anthropologie is a great place for inspiration, especially since I sew and can get similar results on the cheap! Also, they don't make goods for my little one's room so I'm on my own there!

I've been coveting the Cirrus Duvet for a while. I'm really undecided between that and the Tuxedo bedding for my own bed. I'm thinking of giving the Tuxedo a go...but a king size is sure a lot of fabric to work out a tutorial on!


For this version, I worked with some king size jersey sheets. I liked the softness provided from the jersey. I'm all about softness, especially on my little one.




Here's how to make your own:
The final dimensions of this crib/toddler duvet will be 28" x 51". If you want to make one for a standard size bed, just keep in mind to double or triple the width of the fabric to account for the gathers.

1. You'll need four main pieces of fabric:
Front Panel-84" x 52"
Back Top Panel-29" x 12"
Back Bottom Panel-29" x 47"
Strip-29" x 1"


2. Divide the Front Panel piece into 6 sections so each row has a height of roughly 9". (If you are making a larger duvet, I recommend the height of each row between 8" and 9". Just find a clean number to work with to make your life easier)

3. Go ahead and draw the lines onto the wrong side of the Front Panel.


4. Sew down each line with a basting stitch, making sure to leave the thread long on each end. Also, baste the top and bottom of the Front Panel with 1/4" seam allowance.

5. Cinch each row to measure roughly 29" wide.


6. Take the 29" x 1" strips and sew, right sides together, with 1/8" seam allowance. Trim, turn right side out. Iron flat with the seam on the back middle.



7. Lay the strips over the right side of the gathered rows, but not the top and bottom gathers. Sew each strip with a narrow seam.

8. Take the Back Top Panel and iron over 1/2" towards the wrong side. Fold over again 1 1/4" towards the wrong side and press. Sew the flap with 1/8" seam allowance. (I did both ends of the flap because I liked the detail)


9. Do the same to the Bottom Back Panel.

10. Now lay the back panels on the floor, right sides up. Overlap the Top Back Panel over the Bottom Back Panel, making the total height 52". (You could tape this to the floor at this point to prevent it from shifting while layering the Front Panel)



11. Overlay the Front Panel, right sides together. Adjust the gathers at the top and bottom to fit the Back Panels.


12. Sew around the entire perimeter with 1/2" seams.


13. Done! Add your duvet and tuck in your babe.



Thanks a lot Jessi for this great project!
Jessi own a wonderful Etsy shop you should check out. She sells gorgeous felt play food sets and pdf patterns. Her blog is also full of resources (and lots of eye candy!)

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet for a little one or a mom! Thanks for sharing, I am definetly adding to my to do list!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Intense Debate Comments

About Me

My photo
I'm a 23 yr old mommy of two little pixies, sharing my life with my best friend. We live in La Belle Province, French is our first language. In the middle of nursing and caring for a toddler's need, I sew, draw, paint, and take pictures to tell. We also struggle to live an healthy life, apparently surrounded by people that doesn't care much, and we're on budget, too!

Labels

2nd About me activity air alar altar alternative apples apron art astrology Aux Demilunes avatar baby baby food beach bedding Beltane birth stories Birthday Crown birthdays bloomers Blue body painting books boy bread breadmaking breastfeeding Butterbeer and Fantomp cake cake toppers camera Candy Fairy Cauldron celebration child's craft children's book children's cloth cloth cubes clothing collage cookies cooking Costume Craft craft room creature crochet crown cupcakes cushions decor dessert diapers diner dinning table diy DIY day Dollhouse dolls dragon drawing dreadlocks dress earth eco education elementals elf etsy update fabric fairy fall felt felt food fire flower food Full moon art fun furniture gardening gift gifts girl girl room giveaway glass god granola green Guest Post Halloween handmade gift Harry Potter harvest heart herbs holidays home hoodie Imbolc inspiration island jewelry kid kid toys kid's art kitchen kitchen witchery knitting landscape less meat Litha lunch Mabon Magic make your monday Mariann the photographer Master Bedroom maternity Maypole meditation Mother Earth move my project under 15 necklace needlefelting onesie orange organization Ostara pagan painting path peg personal photoshot pink pixie suit plaid play kitchen playing with you food plush Pointed Hat pointed hood Poppet Potion pregnancy pretend play pumpkin punk Québec Quidditch quilt rag quilt rant recipe reinvented retro-cooking month review rhythm right now I AM ritual sabbath Samhain sea sea house seasons sewing sharpies shoes shop siblings skirt soap something about me spellbook spells spinning spirited child spring strawberries swap swaps sweater tattoo tea tea party the color red The Crafty Witch the horde of angry pagans this moment Thrifty finds to-do list toddler toddler crafts toy toymaking tradition tutorial tutu unicorn vacation valentine Waldorf Waldorf doll wand water watercolor Wish list Witch witchy things wood painting wooden toys yarn along yarn along. crochet yellow yoga Yule