Saturday, June 25, 2011

Choosing what we eat.

On the solstice's eve we put some brie cheese and blueberry in the fairy garden. To Mariann's delight, most of it was gone (it's not worse then making her believe in Santa, is it?). She loves playing with it when I hang our cloths to dry.

IMG_7983

As my fridge is currently on no-grocery-shopping-before-moving-empty mode, I found out I'm doing really great without cow milk in it.

Oh, cow milk. It's such a big deal in our province.

The government pushes it so much. It's terrible. They're selling it like it was a magic potion, really. The Dairy industry is everywhere in pubs, they financed the nutritional chart, etc...

Even more, most health care professionals were in denial. It's starting to change. They are speaking of changing the word "intolerance" for "stage 4 allergies" So people take it seriously. But... as many things, people don't want to change. It really is a base for cooking. Most people don't feel good if there's no milk in their fridge, should it only be to poor some in their coffee in the morning.

IMG_7990

Here we are eating mama-made Popsicle made out of honey melon, rice mylk, pears and soft dessert toffu (banana flavored, if I recall correctly). Pops on a hot solstice day is the way to go!

But still, I'm amazed on how little interested people are about the food they put in theirs and their children's mouth! And on how little effort they are willing to provide so they could eat wholesome, healthy food everyday!

IMG_7986

Don't get me wrong, we have those days (like, pops and bagels for souper day) were I don't feel like making much for mealtime. But for some it's like that everyday. And when they open their freezer, they don't reach for healthy pops; instead, frozen half-cooked meat, frozen full of sodium pastas, over processed food...Pogos! Ew!

I can't wait to make some groceries and refurnish our cupboard... With no quinoa, couscous, rice, beans left.... It's starting to get trickier each day! But I think I have a good milestone made; I will skip the cow milk aisle when we go. I learned other ways to cook.

5 comments:

  1. I'm in the same situation you are. My husband, son and I are moving across the country and a lot of our funds have gone to this major move. We're living with my husband's family and they're the ones who have been stocking the fridge and cabinets lately. My mother in law is constantly pushing cow's milk and eggs on our son even though my husband and I are both lactose intolerant and I have an egg allergy/intolerance. I've had to deal with a lot of processed and canned foods and my son has been refusing to eat any of it. I can't wait to get into our new house and stock the fridge and cupboards with all the nutritional things our son is used to eating. Some parents don't understand the value of a well planned, fresh meal, especially in this day and age where convenience is more important than being concerned of how their children eat..

    ReplyDelete
  2. J and I always buy two gallons of milk. I drink the stuff like water and we eat a lot of cereal. I also use it in the breads I've been baking. We just go through it in a week.

    I'm trying to cut down on the amount of processed things that I eat because I know all of the extra sodium and such isn't good for me.

    I love couscous, especially with fresh sauteed cauliflower. So yum!

    Best of luck with your move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I'm confused as to why we think it's a good idea to drink something intended to nourish baby calf's? Humans are not meant to consume cow milk (in my opinion). It's such a regular staple in most households though, people look at you crazy if you say that you don't drink it! Lol! Those pops look delicious!

    Solstice treats in the fairy garden, I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been off of cows milk for about 10 years now - and I've just started making my own almond milk. So easy, and so yummy. I worry about our girls getting too much soy, drinking soy milk (they also love soy-based veggie burgers) so this is a great alternative.
    Those pops look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your natural parenting ways.. WOudl you be interested in a natural parenting column in PaganPages? http://www.paganpages.org

    Much Love,
    Jenn
    PaganPages.org

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Intense Debate Comments

About Me

My photo
I'm a 23 yr old mommy of two little pixies, sharing my life with my best friend. We live in La Belle Province, French is our first language. In the middle of nursing and caring for a toddler's need, I sew, draw, paint, and take pictures to tell. We also struggle to live an healthy life, apparently surrounded by people that doesn't care much, and we're on budget, too!

Labels

2nd About me activity air alar altar alternative apples apron art astrology Aux Demilunes avatar baby baby food beach bedding Beltane birth stories Birthday Crown birthdays bloomers Blue body painting books boy bread breadmaking breastfeeding Butterbeer and Fantomp cake cake toppers camera Candy Fairy Cauldron celebration child's craft children's book children's cloth cloth cubes clothing collage cookies cooking Costume Craft craft room creature crochet crown cupcakes cushions decor dessert diapers diner dinning table diy DIY day Dollhouse dolls dragon drawing dreadlocks dress earth eco education elementals elf etsy update fabric fairy fall felt felt food fire flower food Full moon art fun furniture gardening gift gifts girl girl room giveaway glass god granola green Guest Post Halloween handmade gift Harry Potter harvest heart herbs holidays home hoodie Imbolc inspiration island jewelry kid kid toys kid's art kitchen kitchen witchery knitting landscape less meat Litha lunch Mabon Magic make your monday Mariann the photographer Master Bedroom maternity Maypole meditation Mother Earth move my project under 15 necklace needlefelting onesie orange organization Ostara pagan painting path peg personal photoshot pink pixie suit plaid play kitchen playing with you food plush Pointed Hat pointed hood Poppet Potion pregnancy pretend play pumpkin punk Québec Quidditch quilt rag quilt rant recipe reinvented retro-cooking month review rhythm right now I AM ritual sabbath Samhain sea sea house seasons sewing sharpies shoes shop siblings skirt soap something about me spellbook spells spinning spirited child spring strawberries swap swaps sweater tattoo tea tea party the color red The Crafty Witch the horde of angry pagans this moment Thrifty finds to-do list toddler toddler crafts toy toymaking tradition tutorial tutu unicorn vacation valentine Waldorf Waldorf doll wand water watercolor Wish list Witch witchy things wood painting wooden toys yarn along yarn along. crochet yellow yoga Yule