Friday, March 19, 2010

Ostara...Why Bunnies and Eggs ended up partying with Jésus


image taken
here


If you're interested a tad bit into History, you know most of the Holidays as a pagan root. Thought growing up in a mildly catholic region, my mom chose not to get me baptized and Easter was really much more about chocolate and eggs in my family.

Transferring Pâques (French for Easter) to Ostara wasn't much of a problem for me. Instead of changing the date each year, I stick around March 21st. (The equinox is March 20 for the northern hemisphere this year).


I could do this the complicated way and talk about the Goddess Eostre (which might have never existed)and eggs (which might be a tradition coming from Middle East instead of europe) but I'll simply state what this holidays means to me like I did for Imbolc.



The neo-pagan tradition is pretty much made up with lots of bits of other tradition, yet what always comes up is symbol.

Basicly, I celebrate spring. I love spring. Winter here in Québec is really harsh, often confinding us to our homes because the weather is too cold or dangerous (even with our snow-tires). I'm so happy when the sun start warming the earth; I love not having to put on boots to get out of the house, I love that my baby is able to move in her light spring coat.

It's a time of the year I'm glad to celebrate. It's an equinox, always reminding your should have a balance; Night and Day, your inner male and female aspect.

It's always a time to celebrate fertility; earth that will soon offer us flowers, the dairy animal who gave birth... Our own human fertility. Did you know most birth happened on March and April (according to a statistic from Québec anyway).


Tomorrow I'll be celabrating with my mom and daugther. We won't do anything special since my daugther is so young, but I'll find something to make it special anyway :)

I leave you with my little fairy....



Happy Ostara!

5 comments:

  1. Excellent entry Andréann. Really, really brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! Many blessings for a beautiful Ostara!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I feel it is very important to not only embrace the holiday or spiritual path, but make it your own. Tailor it to fit into your life and you do just that!

    And I have to say she is my favorite faery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting stuff! Love paganism. I don't know enough about it, except that it makes such perfect sense to me. Maybe your blog is where I'll learn what I need to know!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Couldn't agree with you more. I love celebrating spring and its rich symbolism. It's so great to find a kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!

Intense Debate Comments

About Me

My photo
I'm a 23 yr old mommy of two little pixies, sharing my life with my best friend. We live in La Belle Province, French is our first language. In the middle of nursing and caring for a toddler's need, I sew, draw, paint, and take pictures to tell. We also struggle to live an healthy life, apparently surrounded by people that doesn't care much, and we're on budget, too!

Labels

2nd About me activity air alar altar alternative apples apron art astrology Aux Demilunes avatar baby baby food beach bedding Beltane birth stories Birthday Crown birthdays bloomers Blue body painting books boy bread breadmaking breastfeeding Butterbeer and Fantomp cake cake toppers camera Candy Fairy Cauldron celebration child's craft children's book children's cloth cloth cubes clothing collage cookies cooking Costume Craft craft room creature crochet crown cupcakes cushions decor dessert diapers diner dinning table diy DIY day Dollhouse dolls dragon drawing dreadlocks dress earth eco education elementals elf etsy update fabric fairy fall felt felt food fire flower food Full moon art fun furniture gardening gift gifts girl girl room giveaway glass god granola green Guest Post Halloween handmade gift Harry Potter harvest heart herbs holidays home hoodie Imbolc inspiration island jewelry kid kid toys kid's art kitchen kitchen witchery knitting landscape less meat Litha lunch Mabon Magic make your monday Mariann the photographer Master Bedroom maternity Maypole meditation Mother Earth move my project under 15 necklace needlefelting onesie orange organization Ostara pagan painting path peg personal photoshot pink pixie suit plaid play kitchen playing with you food plush Pointed Hat pointed hood Poppet Potion pregnancy pretend play pumpkin punk Québec Quidditch quilt rag quilt rant recipe reinvented retro-cooking month review rhythm right now I AM ritual sabbath Samhain sea sea house seasons sewing sharpies shoes shop siblings skirt soap something about me spellbook spells spinning spirited child spring strawberries swap swaps sweater tattoo tea tea party the color red The Crafty Witch the horde of angry pagans this moment Thrifty finds to-do list toddler toddler crafts toy toymaking tradition tutorial tutu unicorn vacation valentine Waldorf Waldorf doll wand water watercolor Wish list Witch witchy things wood painting wooden toys yarn along yarn along. crochet yellow yoga Yule